Founded in 1929, the Japanese American Citizens League is the oldest and largest Asian American civil rights organization in the United States. A membership-driven national organization whose mission is to promote and uphold human and civil rights, and to promote and preserve the cultural heritage and values of Japanese Americans.
- Interested in finding out more about JapanSlots for the 2021 Kakehashi trip remain available. Applications will be accepted until Sunday, June 13 at 11:59 HST or until slots are full. Applications will be accepted on a […]
- Portland JACL General MeetingJune 13, 2 p.m.RSVP Marleen@pdxjacl.org Join us for a screening of Lauren Yanase’s film about exploring her family’s past. She reflects upon how she decided to develop this documentary. Shikata […]
- Asian and Pacific American Heritage Month 2021Happy API Heritage Month! Here are some ways we’re celebrating this year. Member Spotlights We’re also celebrating by spotlighting some of our members on Instagram and Facebook. During the month […]
- JACL Statement on the Derek Chauvin TrialOn Tuesday, April 20, Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges related to the killing of George Floyd. Mr. Chauvin in being found guilty, and now awaiting sentencing, […]
- JACL Mourns LossOn Tuesday evening at least eight people were killed and one wounded in a series of mass shootings that took place at three spas in Atlanta, Georgia. While the shootings, […]
- Support the John Lewis Voting Rights ActIt’s time to put an end to voter suppression. The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act would begin to root out racially-driven voting barriers. Tell your representative to act now. The John […]
2021 Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to the Japanese Community and Henjyoji Art Award recipients!
Oregon Japanese American World War II Veterans’ Stamp Dedication
Portland JACL joined other local organizations in the unveiling of this US Postal Service stamp. The program included former Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski as Honorary Chair. Tributes included four generations of Japanese Americans and feature vignettes of Oregon Nisei military service portrayed by Oregon Asian Americans.
Watch the event recording here: vimeo.com/543729988
Portland JACL 2021 Day of Remembrance Event
On February 20, we partnered with Vancouver NAACP to put on the virtual event Day of Remembrance 2021 “Redress and Reparations: Yesterday and Today”. If you weren’t able to attend live, you can watch the event recording.
Black Lives Matter
And Why We Need to be Involved: A Nikkei Community Conversation
This event was recorded and is now up on our Facebook.