Founded in 1929, the Japanese American Citizens League is the oldest and largest Asian American civil rights organization in the United States. A membership-driven national organization whose mission is to promote and uphold human and civil rights, and to promote and preserve the cultural heritage and values of Japanese Americans.
- Asian and Pacific American Heritage Month 2021Happy API Heritage Month! Here are some ways we’re celebrating this year. Member Spotlights We’re also celebrating by spotlighting some of our members on Instagram and Facebook. During the month […]
- JACL Statement on the Derek Chauvin TrialOn Tuesday, April 20, Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges related to the killing of George Floyd. Mr. Chauvin in being found guilty, and now awaiting sentencing, […]
- JACL Mourns LossOn Tuesday evening at least eight people were killed and one wounded in a series of mass shootings that took place at three spas in Atlanta, Georgia. While the shootings, […]
- Support the John Lewis Voting Rights ActIt’s time to put an end to voter suppression. The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act would begin to root out racially-driven voting barriers. Tell your representative to act now. The John […]
- Support Reparations for Black Americans by Amanda ShannahanAs a Japanese American, I am familiar with the concept of reparations. After my grandmother passed, I inherited the framed letter of apology acknowledging the injustices done to her and […]
- DOR 2021 + Resource ListOn February 20, we partnered with Vancouver NAACP to put on the virtual event Day of Remembrance 2021 “Redress and Reparations: Yesterday and Today”. If you weren’t able to attend […]
Liberation in Practice: Anti-Racism Workshops for APIHM
This May, the BIPOC community is invited to join APANO to dive deep with leading social justice experts and community-based organizations to expand our knowledge of anti-racism in theory, work, and practice.
Portland JACL is honored to work with APANO on the May 12 workshop dealing with the model minority myth. Check out the full schedule and sign-up!
Portland JACL 2021 Day of Remembrance Event
On February 20, we partnered with Vancouver NAACP to put on the virtual event Day of Remembrance 2021 “Redress and Reparations: Yesterday and Today”. If you weren’t able to attend live, you can watch the event recording.
Black Lives Matter
And Why We Need to be Involved: A Nikkei Community Conversation
This event was recorded and is now up on our Facebook.